28 November 2008

Thanksgiving Day

I have thought about it and it isn't really difficult to come up with things that I am thankful for. There are hundreds of things to say, everyday. I was in bed this morning, just after feeding Archie thinking of them all. I am thankful for family; in a general way but in a very specific way too. I am thankful for the relationships that I have with my family, the friendships that I share with them, I am thankful that we can be friends and are connected by being family. I am thankful that Archie is here with us, that he is a part of our family and will eternally be. I am thankful to know that there is a Father in Heaven who loves me, loves my life, and wants what is best for me. I am thankful to know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is on the earth and that we can learn about it and gain joy from it; the plan of happiness truly gives significant, deeply satisfying joy and happiness and I am so grateful to be here to learn about it. I am thankful to live in this country, to have rights and freedoms that weren't granted 200 years ago, and still today in other places. I am thankful that I can make choices and anticipate the consequences so I can make better choices and learn from my mistakes. I am thankful to have a bed to sleep in that is warm, with heat in our home and a refrigerator full of food. I am thankful for the Internet so my parents can see their grandson through skype, so I can keep in touch with family and friends, so we can share in each other's lives and feel a sense of connection. I am thankful for hot showers, for hot cider, for Christmas trees and decorating them with bright ornaments and lights. I am thankful to be able to recognize my blessings, and I pray that I will never forget them.

No comments: