22 March 2009

A few weeks ago Ben, Archie and I went to the Draper Temple open house with my dad. We got to walk through the temple, go through all of the rooms, read a little bit about what each room is for and finally we sat in a sealing room, where couples are married, and families are sealed for time and all eternity, and two volunteers talked about eternal families. Getting married in the temple, for me, was never a hard choice to make, but it was a difficult step to take, knowing that I wouldn't be able to have my family with me. I am really glad that I was able to go through a temple with my dad, to show him the rooms that Ben and I were in when we were married, and to share with him the special moments that I had getting ready, putting my dress on, walking down the hall to meet Ben before the ceremony started. Even if my dad had been in the temple with us that day, I don't know that I would have been able to express some of those specific moments to him the way I did as we walked through the Draper temple.
I love the temple. Each temple is a little different in design and size, but they are all equal purpose and significance. They all do the same things around the world, no temple is better or worse than another, and all temples perform the same covenant making ceremonies, so whether you are in New York or Hong Kong, going to the temple will be a familiar experience, except of course for the language! I am writing this because I want to share as much as I can with anyone that is curious about what I believe, what our little family believes. I just want to convey a message of clarity, not secrecy about the LDS church, but most of all I want to express with a deep conviction that we believe in Jesus Christ, we believe that he is the Messiah, the Savior, and that there is only one Christ and that he lives.
In the link that goes to mormon.org there are several tabs on the bottom of the page, the first one is simply, Jesus Christ. If you click on that, then click on the video of Jeffery R. Holland, he articulates much better than I, what mormons believe about Jesus Christ. If you want to check it out; I felt like it was important for me to share a little more about what I believe. I love God, I love Jesus Christ, I love my husband and I love my son, I love my family. These are the most important people to me. Boohya. (Which is another way of shouting out an 'amen'...I picked it up from my Brothers:)

2 comments:

Salem said...

What a great day your wedding was. I am so glad you made that choice, too...and SO glad your dad was able to have a small glimpse into what you believe. What perfect timing for the open house...even if you're not interested in our religion, who wouldn't be curious to walk through a temple???!!!

Julie said...

Kate - You are such the little missionary. I definately wish I could walk through a Temple with my Mom so she would see what it was like when I got married. You are so blessed to have that opportunity!!