08 April 2009

Food, Glorious FOOD!

Lately we have been having some really delicious meals; I have to write about them, I love food, and I love new ideas on how to cook- so if you have any tips or tricks, share them!
A couple weeks ago we tried sweet potato fries, very delicious- I have heard of two ways to prepare them, one by frying in oil, and one by baking. We haven't tried baking them yet, but we will soon. We also got a tip from a friend that you can bake asparagus- just put it on a pan, salt and pepper, and bake!
Thursday nights have, in the past, been a family dinner night, extended family, where we might experiment a little on what we eat. So we have been trying to carry on on this tradition, I think I will take pictures of our Thursday night meals and share. Last week we tried fried plantains and burritos, the burritos were great, the fried plantains on the other hand were edible. Devin and I tried to make them delicious, they just kept falling apart, I don't think I boiled them long enough. We added water, oil, finally flour kept the batter together long enough to fry, and they had a hint of that plantain flavor, the rest was 'fried' flavor! Oh well, not a complete success or failure, so we'll try again someday.
This week we are doing shish kabobs, grilled pineapple, grilled banana, mandarin/pecan salad and Brazilian lemonade (a la our wonderful sister up in Montana). It is fun to try new things with a bunch of people because when they don't work out it's okay because you have a whole kitchen of people to think of back ups! And when they do work out, you just think of how much fun you had cooking with a whole kitchen of people, talking, laughing, playing with babies- those are my favorite meals. I love family and friends, I love food, I love experimenting!

4 comments:

Tyler and Kristen said...

How fun! We will have to do something extra great next thursday when we are in town, i'll start thinking!

Ashley Seil Smith said...

We baked asparagus like two weeks ago and I have a really wonderful recipe for it! You wrap about five asparagus in phylo pastry (with butter brushed on the phylo pastry) and bake it until the phylo looks brownish gold. You can make a white wine sauce to put over it that is SO delicious. You just take cooking white wine and reduce it to half with some green onion thrown in, then take most of the green onion out and add butter and herbs. It is SO GOOD together!!! And so easy!

Allison said...

You are amazing. Sounds like a lot of fun.

heather said...

hey lady kate guess what - i think that i'll be ready to walk again next time the sun comes out. :) AND do you have miles for me for last week 'cause i'm trying to catch up on that. actually i don't have miles for you for the last four weeks, and i know you've been walking so just give me a good guess, k? and i finished the life of pi. very, very interesting.